It's back to school time again and teachers are in the rush of meetings, open houses, preparing classrooms and lesson plans. Talk about a time to feel stressed or overwhelmed, but what a perfect time for inspiration in the form of multimedia. I don't seem to be the only one having this thought. This week, I read two other posts from a couple of great bloggers, Krissy from Venspired and William of #WmChamberlain, who both seem to have the same thought. But you know when an eMINTS facilitator shares fun video links there's probably an ulterior motive.
eMINTS facilitators and teachers are constantly thinking about how to continue building a better community of learners. As you think about starting this new school year, what ideas do you have for using videos to inspire and support your learners as you build community in your classrooms? And what videos will you, or do you use? Please share them in the comments.
Here is one idea shared by Debbie: "The ball pit video made me wonder about ways to bring out the kid/joy in our participants. While the ball pit itself may not be feasible, I like the idea of a barrel of balls with a different question or prompt written on each. The Barrel could be a large clear cheese puffs container. Depending on questions, this could be used as anything from a "getting to know you" community builder to an end of year reflection activity. Maybe THEY (learners) could compose questions and write them on balls so we could bounce (hehehehe) our ideas around."
Below are a few of my favorite inspirational, smile inducing, bring a tear to your eye, and/or motivational clips. Maybe they will provide some ideas for you. The first are from SoulPancake followed by a collection of other great videos.
- A Pep Talk from Kid President: Some of my favorite quotes from Kid President are "What will you create that will make the world awesome?" "We could make the whole world better for each other." "We were made to be awesome." "Create something to make the world awesome."
- Kid Presidents AWESOME Year Challenge: The goal...."What if we all made it our resolution to make this year awesome for somebody else?"
- Good News Broadcast - imagine if your goal was to share the good.
- SoulPancake "develops thought-provoking content and creative engagement opportunities that encourage people to explore what it means to be human." -Want to learn more about Who is SoulPancake? Check out their YouTube channel.
- It's Not About the Shoes - Michael Jordan "It's about being who you were born to be."
- Failure - Michael Jordan "I have failed over, and over, and over again in my life, and that is why I succeed."
- The Potter - Animated video about a potter and his apprentice.
- Kid Snippets: Math Class, My Teacher is an Alien, Library - as imagined by kids.
- Do You Believe in Me? -Dalton Sherman Keynote Speech for the Dallas ISD teachers and staff.
- Rita Pierson on “Every Kid Needs A Champion” - talks about the importance in building relationships.
- The Little Frog - Two frogs fall into a hole and surprise everyone. We all do better with positive reinforcement.
- Nemo - First Day of School
- A Bug's Life - "We are going around the leaf."
- Everything is Amazing and nobody is happy .... (*not for students)
- Leadership Lessons from Dancing Guy
- Apple - The Crazy Ones (narrated by Steve Jobs)
A HUGE thank you goes out to the AWESOME people I work with who share so selflessly. Many of these clips were shared by them and often times included ideas on how we might use them with the teachers we have the opportunity to work with. Because of my colleagues, and they know who they are, I am a better person both professionally and personally! :)
*Many of the videos reside on YouTube. You may wish to share them through online tools such as TubeChop or similar site to filter out the related videos and other content such as comments. As always, please preview all videos before sharing with students.