Here are some of the new features and capabilities:
- Embedded web browser will allow users to insert a live browser page directly into a SMART Notebook file and then interact with that page. (I can't wait to see how this works.)
- Widgets, such as a dictionary and translator, will let users handwrite a search query, receive the answer and move that answer to the SMART Notebook software page. An avatar widget will let teachers bring their dynamic talking avatars into SMART Notebook 11 and save them to the Gallery. (It's an embedded Voki). Widgets will be available for download at the SMART Exchange. SMART is even allowing 3rd party developers to create custom widgets.
- Crayon feature that allows users to create authentic crayon drawings on the interactive whiteboard.
- Customizable creative pen builds individual pen types based on any image.
- Create activity objects with the activity builder tool that reacts to actions made by students or teachers with animations or sounds for engaging interactions.
- Contextual toolbar that responds to actions by changing when users choose a certain object, giving them the required tool choices they need to work with that tool.
- Reset page function brings the SMART Notebook software page back to its last saved state. (So much better than undo or clear page for those teachers that teach the same class multiple times.)
- SMART Board 800 series interactive whiteboard and the SMART Board 8070i interactive display boards will now have 4 touch capability. (Wish I had access to one of these...I did get to play with one at the eMINTS Conference this past month and WOW it was pretty cool.)
- SMART Notebook 11 Microsoft® Windows 7®, Microsoft Windows XP®and both Mac Snow Leopard® and Mac OSX Lion operating system software. (Possibly my favorite addition - I really hope this takes care of many problems my eMINTS teachers have been having.)
- Shake feature will allow for quick grouping and ungrouping of objects.
- Audio recording records sound directly into a file.
SMART Technologies usually makes the new software available in June or July, right around ISTE, but the media release said this version would be ready this Spring. Going to keep my fingers crossed and keep checking their site.
What new feature are you most excited about and in what ways do you plan on using SMART Notebook 11 to support learning in your classroom?